Anand's programming Blog

Thoughts and comments on Java software development.

Friday, May 12, 2006

Google Desktop and Java Install

I got my new laptop today. I had a list of applications to install in it. I kept Google Desktop high in my list of applications to be installed. So basically for the google desktop installer the machine is vanilla.

Newer version of google desktop( one which comes integrated with the gadgets) requires Java runtime engine available. On not finding one it installs the 1.4 version. All is well and good and I am happy.

Now I get to next item in the list of installs and that happens to be Java5. I download it from Java website and try to install and *DING* I CAN'T. Some application is holding up lock on the Java folder. For a some time I could not figure which app and then run through the task manager to figure. The usual suspect was Google Desktop.

Now what would be the way around? I killed the google desktop app and removed version 1.4 and then installed Java 5. All worked. BUT I can no longer see the google desktop gadget.Something messed up!

Final resort was to uninstall Google desktop and reinstall it all over. It sucks to to do that as I had to redo my google gadget setting all over again :(

Anyway, the moral of the story is " If your computer/laptop does not have Java Runtime engine installed, make sure you get what you want before installing Google Desktop else you will spend quite sometime to cleanup the mess"

I wish google had better way to handle this but Hey who care, I am happy with Google Gadgets!!!

1 Comments:

  • At 4:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hello!,I love your writing very so much! percentage we keep up a correspondence extra about your post on AOL?
    I require an expert on this house to resolve my problem. Maybe that's you! Taking a look ahead to see you.

    Also visit my website - es.unajus.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home